The Vienna Academy of Visionary Art is located at Neustiftgasse 40 (entrance on Döblergasse 2) in the historic Otto Wagner building in the 7th district of Vienna – a district renowned for its artistic & alternative atmosphere.
How to get here
- By Bus: The closest bus-stop is “Neubaugasse” on the 48A bus, or the 13A.
- By Tram (Strassen-bahn): We are just around the corner from “Strozzigasse” station on Tram-line 46.
- By Subway (U-bahn): The closest U-Bahn station is Volkstheater on the U3 line.
The studio and office space of The Vienna Academy of Visionary Art is located one flight up from entrance on Döblergasse 2. We have an ideal space – 150 square metres in size (1600 square feet) with a parquet floor, high ceilings, track lighting and eight tall windows facing the courtyard.
Email inquiries and questions to: email@example.com.
The Managing Director, Florence Ménard can be reached by telephone: +43 660 377 9871
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri, from 10am to 6pm
The History of Neustiftgasse 40
Towards the end of his life, the renowned Jugenstil architect Otto Wagner built the pair of buildings at Neustiftgasse 40 and Döblergasse 4, as the final application of the ideas published in his 1896 book Moderne Architektur. Indeed, Wagner moved into the top floor of Döblergasse 4, where he passed the last years of his life. The architect explored new materials such as aluminium and cement, while pursuing a linear geometry in black and white. In a period when all Viennese architects followed historical precedents, it was one of the first buildings to not represent pillars on its facade. All the functional elements such as door handles and light fixtures were carefully designed and integrated into the building.
The workshops of the famous Wiener Werkstätte were located at Döblergasse 2 & 4, particularly the ateliers for women’s fashion, metal, glass-making, book-binding and lamps. Architects such as Koloman Moser and Josef Hoffmann, along with Secessionist artists like Gustave Klimt and Egon Schiele, contributed designs to the enterprise, which operated there from 1912 until the firm’s demise in 1926.